Leonard Messel Magnolia
Magnolia x loebneri ‘Leonard Messel’
- Size: 15’-25’ Tall and 20’-30’ Wide
- Growth Habit: Rounded, compact
- Growth Rate: slow to moderate
- Light Requirements: Full Sun to Part Shade
- Soil Requirements: Adaptable to different soil types prefers well draining soil, does not tolerate wet feet.
- Appeal: Leonard Messel Magnolia has a similar petal shape to the Star Magnolia cultivar but has the outside purple to pink colored petals similar to Betty or Jane cultivars. A hybrid magnolia that will have flowers around five inches in diameter and it will bloom in early spring. The foliage will emerge as bronze green color and deepen to a dark green throughout spring then fade to yellow bronze during fall before losing its leaves for winter.