Cercis canadensis ‘Merlot Redbud’
- Size: 10’-15’ Tall and Wide
- Growth Habit: Semi upright vase shaped
- Growth Rate: Moderate to fast
- Light Requirements: Full Sun to Part Shade
- Soil Requirements: Adaptable to different soil types. Can grow well in dry, clay, acidic, or alkaline soils. Prefers well drained soil. More drought resistant cultivar.
- Appeal: The Merlot Redbud is prized for having better drought tolerance and heat resistance than other cultivars. It is also known for its deep maroon colored foliage resembling merlot wine. It is a hybrid of Forest Pansy and Texas redbuds. The foliage will keep its maroon color throughout the fall season before dropping its leaves for the winter. It will have the pink/magenta colored flower blooms before the foliage emerges. Native, deer resistant, tolerant to juglone.